Missouri S&T’s first building still stands and is home to our mathematics and statistics department. Built for Rolla’s high school, the City of Rolla originally owned the building and leased half of it to the University of Missouri Board of Curators for the soon-to-be university.
Construction was completed just five days before the university opened on Nov. 6, 1871.
In January 1875, Missouri S&T purchased the building from the city for $25,000.
Today the Rolla Building joins Parker Hall and Norwood Hall as the only remaining buildings where students were educated during our first 50 years.
Share This Story
Rebuilding a flooded town
At its happening, the Flood of ‘93 was one of the worst crises to have ever impacted the St. Louis…
Sarah (Lewey) and Leslie “Les” McDaniel
When Sarah (Lewey) and Leslie “Les” McDaniel met in 2013 at a local bar called the Grotto, it was all…
Dan Scott, a 1970 metallurgical engineering graduate, holds more than 100 patents and has dozens more patents pending. The technical…
‘Who is Ilene Morgan?’
If “third time’s a charm” were a category on the quiz show Jeopardy!, then “Who is Dr. Ilene Morgan?” might…
Year after year, the ‘Best Ever’
Since George Menefee first donned a bishop’s hat and robe and rode a rail handcar into Rolla on March 17,…
Remmers series: the talk of the town
A professor once called Walter Remmers, MetE’23, MS MetE’24, “the laziest man in school.” And Remmers owned up to it….